I'm a 28 year old Armenian girl from Los Angeles. I'm the epitome of a Virgo: Analytical, observant, helpful, reliable, precise, and extremely loyal. Yes, I'm a little bossy too, but I like to consider it as being a born leader. I worked in Retail Management for 11 years and finally got tired of it and quit my job to go back to school. Some people called it risky, but I call it following my dream to become of a nurse. I have 5 months until I graduate LVN school and am hoping to go back in school for my RN towards the end of 2014. When I'm not studying about one disease or another, you find me nose deep into a book. Print or on my Ipad, honestly don't have a preference. I am lucky to have some amazing friends who share my love for reading, and follow me on road trips to meet amazing authors and other book lovers. My favorite genres are: YA or NA/MA. Specifically: Paranormal, Contemporary, or Historical. My other love is JAFF (Jane Austen Fan Fiction). Continuations, variations, or re-tellings with Zombies; If it's about one of Jane Austen's famous characters I am sure to read it! I spend more time on Goodreads than on Facebook or Twitter combined. Some people want to travel the worlds 7 natural wonders. I however, want to travel the world’s best libraries. I started blogging because I wanted to meet other book lovers, and so far I can honestly say that my wish has been fulfilled!
Interview with Anasheh
1. Tell us a little bit about how you fell in love with reading.
I fell in love with reading probably at the age of 3. When my family first moved to the states we didn't have a lot of money, so my mom would take me down to the local library where they had great children's events (BTW I still go to the same library.) They would show tons of movies and I could check out as many books as I wanted. Even though English is not my first language, I was always at the top of my school's reading level throughout elementary school and was in Honors English classes in high school. And the love of reading is a big part of who I am today at the age of 28.
2. What have been your top 5 YA reads in the past year or two and why?
The biggest thing I look for when reading books regardless of what genre they are in is originality. After reading hundreds of books, like any avid reader I start being able to predict the ending and I HATE that. It’s what will make me give a GREAT book a 4 star rating instead of a 5 star. But the following I would say are my Fav Five from the last 2 years:
1) The Madman's Daugther - Megan Shepard : Loved the mixture of historical fiction, paranormal and the anatomy thrown in!
2) Second Chance Summer - Morgan Matson: This book is a contemporary that actually had me bawling at one point. Beautiful story about making the most of every moment you have.
3) The Bloodlines series - Richelle Mead: There is just something about reading a book by a favorite author that makes it feel like coming home. Richelle Mead is one of those authors. I love the fact that she has some kick-butt heroines and yes, her heroes aren't that bad either.
4) Anything by Gayle Forman - Gayle Forman is one of those authors that has me glued to my seat and unable to do anything besides read her beautiful stories. I think I read If I stay, and Where she Went in one day, one sitting.
5) The Infernal Devices by Cassie Clare - I have been a huge fan of Cassie's work for years now. But since I loved The Mortal Instruments so much, I was kind of hesitant to start this series. But my one of my best friends Vivian, who knows the books I like, said that she thought I might actually like this series more. And boy was she right! Luckily I waited until all 3 books were out before I picked it up. This is hands down one of the best series out there in my opinion. It mixes historical fiction, romance, steampunk all into the amazing Shadowhunter World Cassie Clare created!
3. What's your favorite candy?
Hmm favorite candy? Not sure about that. I'll get back to you **Runs to the nearest candy store to do research** Just Kidding. If I have to choose one, I would probably say Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
4. What superpower would you choose if you could have it?
Can I create a new one? If so I would pick the super power of not having to sleep. I could accomplish so much more that way!
But if I had to pick a super power already out there I would pick being able to fly! That would come in handy when I have to go somewhere during LA rush hour!
5. Who is your favorite author and why?
My favorite author of all time is Jane Austen. I am a huge sucker Pride & Prejudice and have watched almost every single adaptation out there. It is probably one of the most beloved love stories out there. Jane Austen was also much ahead of her time. She wrote themes and topics that were way advanced for the world she lived in. Her stories are still beloved today, 200 years later and even though there are a gazillion adaptations out there, people still go out to see it!
6. What has been the three best things you've loved about blogging?
1) Meeting people from around world and developing some lasting friendships
2) Being able to be more active with some authors and to be able to express to them out how much their world affected me.
3) Knowing that there are thousands of people out there like me, who like to fan-girl about books and fictional characters.
7. Which Hogwarts house would you be placed in by the Sorting Hat and why?
This has to be the toughest question yet, because honestly I have attributes that could qualify for any of the houses. But I think I would like to believe that I would I sorted into Ravenclaw. I have and always will be a nerd who loves to learn and that will probably never change.
Even though anyone who has ever known, worked as or shadowed a nurse, can say that there is a great amount of bravery associated with the nursing profession! Some obvious reasons and some not so obvious. So maybe the hat would sort me as a Gryffindor.
8. Who is your favorite villain and why?
My favorite villain has to be Valentine from the Mortal Instruments series. There is just something about him that you love to hate. Plus I would be lying if I didn't admit that I was more excited about Jonathan Rhys Meyers, being cast as Valentine than any of the other casting choices! Anyone who has watched Tudors knows why ;)
Thanks so much to Anasheh for her awesome answers in this interview! Now please go on to enter her very generous giveaway!!! Either the box set of The Infernal Devices (US only) OR $40 Amazon Gift Card (INT).